Sunday, October 26, 2014

Learning How to Learn

I've been taking an online course offered by Coursera that I'm really excited about:

Learning How to Learn

I find that many of the techniques discussed aren't really new to me. But now they are much more concrete as there is a "name" associated with them.  This helps reinforce when I should apply those techniques and in what circumstances.

For example, the course discusses focused vs. diffused modes of thinking.  I've found in daily life that taking a short break, such as a walk, helps organize my thoughts and make connections.  I now have a name for that.

This idea of having terminology associated with something I'm already doing isn't new.  Another example is Design Patterns.  When I first read this book I wondered why it was such a big deal.  But I realized that it helps establish a common set of terms I could use when discussing concepts with others.

I highly encourage you to take a look at Learning How to Learn - even if you've done well historically with learning new material.  It's great to know these techniques and put a "name to the face".

No comments:

Post a Comment